Tuesday, May 30, 2017

SASSY SPRAY 6" X 6" stencil -- Reworked Art



Earlier this month, I posted an artwork I'd made on canvas using a pair of Sassy Spray stencils that I had slightly altered.  This is what the art looked like at, then:




I liked all of it except for the upper left side.  I wasn't satisfied with the focal point that I'd tried to establish there. 

So I re-worked the art.  Its new version is below --





I'm not at liberty to describe the technique that I used to start this painting, since it was shown on a video that's included in the June 2015 Stencil-of-the-Month package for StencilGirls' StencilClub members.  This package can be back-ordered; directions are here

But that process was only the start of this particular acrylic painting, done on 12" x 9" gallery-wrap canvas. 

After that first step, I used a variety of sizes of flat-tipped brushes to add yellow highlights in emphasizing areas of the design.  I also added a number of layers of zinc white acrylic paint to mute areas of lesser interest.  And I used a nearly-empty bottle of this paint to add a spatter in the lower middle area.

When I came back to re-work the piece, I repeated the start-technique in one area on the right side.

Then I used Gelatos.  I applied them dry, then brushed over them with liquid acrylic matte medium, to spread the color, and set it.

I also masked off a small area on the right before spattering it with the same zinc white paint that I'd used originally, in making spatters elsewhere.

Sassy Spray in its entirety looks like this:





To follow this blog, please use the "Follow by Email" option on the upper right.  As of June 14, the "Subscribe" option will be eliminated.

To see all of my stencils, from old to new, please visit here.


Thanks for your visit today!