Friday, May 19, 2017

Progressive Prints with Stencils


Isn't it fun to use new stencils over old stencil prints?

The first layer on today's multi-print image was made with a 8-inch round Gelli Plate and my 9"x 12" stencil Facets, which looks like this:





Because I used a round Gelli Plate, the blue-and-white imprint was round.  (The background was a sheet of foreign newsprint.)  Over that first print, I added a green layer with Ornamental Iron Curls, one of my four new 6" x 6" stencils:





For the next layer, I reached for yellow acrylic paint and another new stencil, Ski-Lift Works --





Above, you can see that stencil's imprint in the upper left.  Then, on the lower right, I used Ski-Lift Works once again -- by flipping it upside-down while it was still coated with that heavy-body yellow paint; I pressed it to the paper, using it in the same way a rubber stamp would be used. 

This is a work-in-progress.  As the layering process continues, some areas will be muted with tinted gesso-water washes so that a basic pattern of composition will eventually emerge.  Some type of crayon markings will make the final touches.  

The two new stencils named above look like this:


Ornamental Iron Curls 
Ski-Lift Works



You can browse all my stencils, old and new, here.  Thanks for visiting my blog!

More ways of using stencils will be posted here -- and a very special post will appear May 23.  To follow this blog, just sign up for emails on the upper right.  


The "Subscribe" option will be eliminated June 14, but the "Follow by Email" option will continue.