Saturday, January 4, 2014

"(Swatton) Cats" 6"X6" Stencil -- Just Released at StencilGirlProducts.com! Cat Lovers, Rejoice!


This stencil is now available here:
 http://www.stencilgirlproducts.com/Cats-Stencil-Cecilia-Swatton-p/s183.htm

Introducing a brand-new stencil based on silhouettes very dear to my heart ...  All but one of these images were drawn from photos of a sadly missed companion, Kitty.  One of them was drawn from a photo of my now-cat, Puma (aka my "office manager.")

As you can imagine, I've used this stencil in many ways. 

One just-started project was inspired by a wonderful video by Paula Phillilps --

http://www.stencilgirltalk.com/2013/12/stencil-packing-tape-transfer.html?m=0

-- and this is my starting point:

Here, I have placed the new stencil over a page torn from a National Geographic magazine.  I will eventually follow the directions in Paula's video to create a packing tape transfer.  (Paula has cleverly updated this old technique by adding the "twist" of using a stencil as part of the transfer process.)  But, before doing that, I will be experimenting with this initial image, in my PC's digital-processing program (Photoshop in my case), to see if it would make an interesting overlay as part of a digital collage that will include other cat imagery.

Now however, I bounce back to the topic of hands-on art-making, to show these pieces I've created with this brand-new 6"X6" stencil --

Above:  First, I created a mask, using one of the figures on this new 6"X6" stencil.  With a Sharpie fine-line pen, I traced along the outline of this figure, drawing on a scrap of clear acetate.  Next, I cut out the figure, using fine-detail scissors.  I placed the mask on a Gelli Plate, then brayered on a layer of acrylic paints.  Last step was to pull a print, using a sheet of music.

Above:  I used the same tracing technique with another figure on the stencil.  This time I did the tracing on Asian newsprint previously painted Chinese red.  I cut out the tracing with fine-detail scissors, then placed the Chinese red paper atop another newsprint that I'd painted blue.  This became the cover of a collaged greeting card.

Above:  This is a re-run of an earlier-posted image.  It was created, likewise, by my making a mask from the stencil, then placing the mask on a Gelli Plate, brayering on paint, and pulling a print on a tearsheet from an old book.  After the print had dried, I collaged on the scrap of Chinese imagery shown on the far left.
Above:  Again, I traced one figure from this stencil onto a sheet of already-painted newsprint.  Then I cut out the figure and placed the newsprint over blue paper, to create a collaged greeting card cover.
 
 Last but not least ... The "scraping technique" works well with thin but sturdy paper and liquid acrylic paint.  Titanium White is the color most successful, for me.  An earlier post addressed my using this method with deli wrap.  This time, I've used thin but sturdy foil giftwrap.  I first placed the stencil onto a flat work surface, then covered it with the foil.  I poured a little paint onto palette paper, dipped the wide edge of an old credit card into the paint, and scraped it firmly across the paper, while holding both the paper and the stencil in place with one hand.  It takes several dips and scrapes to cover the entire 6"X6" design.  For me, the most effective scraping movement is to push the card away from myself -- instead of placing it on the far edge and pulling it toward myself.  Also, I find that best results come from holding the card at a 45-degree angle to the paper.  My Cats stencil has large openings and it lacks fine detail-lines, which makes it perfect for this technique.

Above:  The white-on-blue foil scraping results are subtle, but this is a look that appeals to me.
Below:  the set-up for the scraping technique, showing paint on the palette paper on the left; at top middle is the old credit card with one wide edge dipped in the paint; and on the right is a sheet of thinly painted newsprint that is being "scraped" with the use of my 9"X12" Mimosa stencil (also available at STENCILGIRL(TM).