Saturday, November 16, 2013

Re-Run Season Already?

Now that this STENCILGIRL(TM) stencil is available online, I'm re-running an older post ... with a little editing to update it:

One of my new 6"X6" stencils features a pair of soaring osprey (fish hawks) and bears the title Osprey Wings:

http://www.stencilgirlproducts.com/product-p/s176.htm

 This particular design happens to be one I developed a long time ago, after taking photos at Sandy Hook National Park, NJ, a long peninsula jutting up between a wide double-bay and the Atlantic, with the NYC skyline as background.



The above image, which features one of the two osprey silhouettes on this new stencil, was created long ago in Photoshop.  But I could have created the exact same results using this new stencil -- I simply would have placed the Osprey Wings stencil atop yellow-to-purple paper, traced the outline, cut out the silhouette, and adhered it to a piece of background paper.  Or I could have created the osprey via the alternate (and slower) method described in my recent post that showed the heron image on a Citrasolv-monoprinted background paper.

This background paper started life as a sheet of black glossy cardstock.  I then pressed it, glossy-side-down, to a sheet of Plexiglas* randomly spread with aqua and blue acrylic paints.  I twisted the sheet of cardstock a few times before lifting it off the Plexiglas and setting it aside to dry.  This method of monoprinting often yields results that remind me of seawater.  This particular piece of paper made me think of soaring over ocean waves, looking down ... so it was natural to add the osprey gliding along below the artist's hypothetical viewpoint, watching for a fish.

*Another option would have been to use a Gelli Plate, which would have worked equally well or better.