Friday, May 27, 2016

TANGLED PODS Paired with BOXED VINES



In an earlier post, here, I posted step-by-step photos of a technique I call "stencil-scraping."  It's the traditional dry-rubbings technique, except that sometimes I use wet media (acrylic paint) instead of the traditional dry media (soft pencil or art crayon.) 

In the second part of that post, I showed the traditional dry-rubbings method, using art crayons on thin paper atop my 9"x 12" stencil Tangled Pods.

Finally, I've used the thin papers I had printed this way -- as backgrounds in 2-part collages on greeting cards:






These two top embellishment-strips were cut free-hand, but, anyone can create something very similar to the top (blue) strip, just by tracing one of the vine-shapes in my 9"x 12" stencil Boxed Vines.

When line-tracing inside the openings of a stencil -- as shown in another post, here -- it's easy to make a two-for-one. 

Part one is the cut-out itself -- here I show an example.  You can think of this as the "positive."

Part two of the two-for-one is the "negative" -- that's the leftover paper from which the "positive" shape has been cut.  In the two examples above, the strip embellishments are both "negatives."

When making the cut-out, it often happens that the "leftover" paper falls into two or more pieces.  No worries.  The beauty of collage is that you can re-assemble these pieces to end up with a perfect shape, as shown above.  I like the results -- being able to see thru these negative shapes adds depth to collages.

Thanks for visiting!