Friday, February 6, 2015

Brand-New TANGLED PODS 9"X12" stencil



I'm trotting out this "stencil-and-scrape" technique once again; it remains a favorite way of mine to create translucent papers for my large collages on canvas.

In this post I'm showing it again, this time with my new 9"X12" stencil Tangled Pods, available here: 

http://www.stencilgirlproducts.com/category-s/1832.htm

(Note:  In this demo, I'm using the blue prototype-stencil that's given to designers at STENCILGIRL(TM)Products.  When you order this stencil, however, it's made of translucent white plastic.)

Below is the stencil secured to the work surface with masking tape. 


The photo below shows a sheet of deli wrap taped over the stencil.  (In this demo, I started with deli wrap and later switched to white tissue paper.)




The photo above shows the way I place acrylic paint across the top of the paper.  On the far middle right is the old credit card I'll use for the scraping.

In the two photos below, I show the first scrape and the second scrape; the credit card has been pressed into the paint at the top of the tissue and scraped downward over the tissue, with enough pressure to capture the contours of the stencil openings. 


  
My next step was to set aside the scraped papers to dry.  While they dried, I taped another sheet of tissue atop the stencil and made rubbings, using water-soluble crayons.

ABOVE:  THE RUBBING HAS BEEN STARTED.

ABOVE:  THE RUBBING IS FINISHED.
Now came the need to make this rubbing waterproof, so it can later be used on one of my large collages on canvas.

The method of waterproofing I chose was to spread matte gel over the surface:





This, too, needed to be set aside to dry.

Below are the papers created with the stencil-and-scrape technique (with acrylic paint) --




 And below is the paper I made with water-soluble crayons; the matte gel has now dried, so the paper won't lose any color after being added to a collage on canvas.


Below are two collages on canvas that I made with these papers --


No comments:

Post a Comment