Wednesday, May 18, 2016

BUDS Stencil ... in Reverse!


"Reverse-stenciling" is one name used for the technique used to make the print in today's post.  I also like to think of it as using the stencil as a stamp.

I started with my 9"x12" Buds Stencil and light modeling paste.  Using an artist's spatula -- altho an old credit card would have worked -- I spread the paste thru the stencil onto the substrate.

I was unhappy with the results of that print, so it's history.

But, while the paste was still wet, I flipped the stencil over and pressed it to a sheet of sturdy cardstock (the same way you would make a print by pressing a moistened rubber stamp to a substrate.)  Then I lifted the stencil and cleaned it.

After this reverse-print had dried, I went over it with several layers of acrylic paint.  I also used watercolor crayons, applying them dry and following this with a wash of clean water.  Between each of these applications, I rubbed the surface with a terry cloth rag.  This repeated rubbing left traces of color in some areas and removed them in others.  This worked because the reverse-stencil print had lots of ridges and valleys as result of my having used modeling paste, which is three-dimensional and, when dried, capable of taking some rough handling.

You can see these peaks and dips on the surface by clicking on the top image below to enlarge it...






The top image above is the reverse print created with my 9"x12" Buds Stencil ... and the lower image is what the stencil itself looks like.