Wednesday, June 11, 2014

NEW NEW NEW Cluster -- I Wasn't Satisfied Until ...



... finally, as my last step in this project, I tried Craft-T's Metallic Rub-ons (available at Amazon.com, Walmart and other venues) ...

But before taking that final step, the two of us -- my just-released 6"X6" stencil Quilted Flower Garden and I -- had a hard time working together on this particular project. 

The bumpy journey started with inspiration from my subscription to Cloth Paper Scissors e-newsletter, which reminded me of the near-prehistoric technique of using colorless wax as a resist.

As my substrate, I chose a previously-painted sheet of newsprint.

Unable to find my clear wax crayon (last used when dinosaurs roamed), I settled for a dollar-store white wax candle.  I rubbed it liberally across Quilted Flower Garden, using one hand to hold the stencil in place on the painted newsprint.  I found this stencil ideal for this project because it has no loose-ended designs; all parts of the pattern are attached, enabling me to rub from all directions and to press down hard to get wax into every open area of the stencil -- as shown below, first in full-size and then in close-up detail --



This resulted in a nice build-up of patterned wax on the paper, when I lifted the stencil off.

This build-up is circled in green in the photo below --


The above photo also shows my next step, which was to add opaque yellow acrylic paint.  While the paint was still wet, I buffed off some with a paper towel.  (A soft terrycloth rag would have worked too.)  This is what resulted--


Unhappy with those results, I added a generous dose of dye-based liquid color.  (I used Adirondack Color Wash.)  While that was still wet, I sprayed it with rubbing alcohol.  This is shown in the two photos below; the second photo is a close-up.



I loved the results when they were still wet, as shown above, but after the liquid had dried, disappointment came sneaking in.

But new inspiration pulled me out of the gloom.  I reached for the metallic rub-ons mentioned at the top of this post.  That was when things started to click for me--

Above:  I've begun to rub on silver metallic with a plastic-gloved fingertip.

Above:  a close-up of the metallic silver section.

Above:  a close-up of the red metallic section.
This brand-new 6"X6" stencil Quilted Flower Garden is available at www.StencilGirlProducts.com.  Please check out all my posts clustered into the corral that I call NEW NEW NEW -- it's a lengthy cluster that features each of my 6 brand-new releases in my continuing botanical-themed series.  A variety of techniques/projects are covered. To see all posts, please click on "Older Posts" at the bottom of this web-page.  Thanks for stopping by!