Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Stencil Prints on Canvas and Paper -- GARDEN MONTAGE and other Stencils


Several days ago, I posted photos of some 9" x 12" stretched canvases that I'd painted using Garden Montage, my recently released 9" x 12" stencil at StencilGirl.

Another canvas in that series is now in progress....





It's not finished yet, but, so far, I'm liking this departure from the colors I'd been using on earlier pieces in this series.  Like the earlier versions, this one started with an all-over print created with Garden MontageAfter that layer had been covered with two coats of zinc white (translucent) acrylic paint, I began adding layers of green and gold acrylic paints, using my 9" x 12" stencil Queen Anne's Lace.  I also added some white spray paint, to mute out areas that I no longer wanted.

Below is a print that started life as a print made with Ornamental Iron Curls, one of my 6" x 6" stencils --





-- and that original print is still somewhat visible thru the print made over it; this new print was laid down with Garden Montage stencil.

While making prints for the announcement of this new stencil release, I quickly came to see that I especially liked the Garden Montage prints that were made over earlier prints that had emerged when I'd used my 9" x 12" stencil Prayer Flags --






-- and the photo above shows yet another of these prints.  I like the contrast between the rigid geometric shapes of Prayer Flags and the curving, organic shapes that form Garden Montage.  With the above print, my goal was to maximize this contrast by using colors that are near-opposites on the color wheel.

Below is another print using the same approach; this time, on a starting background of foreign newsprint.  Prayer Flags was used in making the partial print, in purple, on the right.  Garden Montage and opaque green paint formed the top layer -- 





The print below was made on an old sheet of copy paper that I'd computer-printed with a pattern of faint grey speckles --





My hearty thanks for your visit today!

To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils, please start here.

To follow this blog by email, please use that option in the upper right sidebar.