Friday, September 8, 2017

SASSY SPRAY Stencil in Triplicate!


I love the challenge of working on stretched canvas that comes in an elongated shape!  The first photo below shows the starting step in creating a current piece that was made with three slightly altered Sassy Spray 6" x 6" stencils. 

I've customized this stencil with Joyce Chen scissors -- perfect for stencil-cutting because they're sharp and have short blades.  The original Sassy Spray stencil looks like this:








Above is the early version of this painting; I developed it with Golden High Flow acrylics, using these stencil-bits and following directions given in Pat Dews' DVD Designing Great Starts with Texture and Form.

After I had reached this stage of the project, I decided to veer back to another favorite technique -- making altered stencils into collage elements.  Whenever I do this, I choose stencils that have been stained in previous projects.  

The stencils used in creating this painting wouldn't have worked since they'd become stained in the same colors as the background I created.  They would have simply blended in with the background.

So I searched my stash of stained stencils and came up with just what I needed, stencils not only stained in a complementary color scheme, but also stained to a darker value than the relatively light overall value of the background.  I added them with heavy matte gel medium.





Above is the finished collage-and-acrylic artwork.

To see more of my stencils, please visit here.  

To follow this blog by email, please use the Follow by Email option in the right sidebar.

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today!