Saturday, September 2, 2017

Press and Pull with Stencils and any Stiff Paste


Some time ago, I made a three-dimensional painting on stretched canvas.  

First, I used an art spatula to spread the canvas with molding paste -- but  heavy-bodied Titanium White acrylic paint, or any other stiff paste or gel, would work just as well.

While the molding paste was still wet, I pressed two 9" x 12" stencils into it -- Blooming Where Planted and Prayer Flags.  

After the paste had dried completely, I brushed over it with a variety of acrylic paints.

I've already misplaced any photos of the whole canvas, but I recently ran across close-up photos of two areas where this pair of stencils had been used --


Above:  Blooming Where Planted is the stencil that was used here.



Above:  Prayer Flags was the stencil used here.


It's not easy to recognize the two stencils used to create this texture, since the pressing in and the pulling out of the stencils creates distortion of the original designs -- but in this case, distortion was my goal.  You can click on the above photos to enlarge them and better see details.


This technique makes it necessary to clean the stencils immediately after use.

After the paste died, I went over it with acrylic paints and Pan Pastels.

To see all my StencilGirl stencils and masks, including the two used in today's post, just visit here.

To follow this blog by email, please use the Follow by Email option in the right sidebar.

Thank you for taking time for my blog today!