Saturday, September 24, 2016

Asian Imagery with Stencils


Below:  

I used Golden's Payne's Gray acrylic paint mixed with matte medium in making these two fan imprints.  Both were created with my 9"X 12" stencil Two Fans.  The top fan was made directly onto color-stained  Asian newsprint, applying the paint thru the stencil.  The lower fan is a ghost print, made with the same stencil -- while the paint was still wet, I lifted it from the color-stained newsprint and placed it wet-side-down onto another sheet of Asian newsprint; then I cut it out to increase the contrast between the ghost print and a white background. 





Below:

 I used my 6"X 6" Bamboo Wall stencil twice, facing in different directions and placed side-by-side to create one overall pattern.  My background was a Gelli Plate print -- but before making my stencil imprints with the Bamboo Wall stencil, I had created another layer of color on the Gelli Plat print, by making a pale blue Art Bar crayon rubbing (with the help of another stencil of mine, placed under the paper.)  




I just want to add that, unlike oil pastel crayons, Art Bar crayons, being water-soluble, allow you to use acrylic paint over them.