Tuesday, February 18, 2020

More Fun Ways to Play with my New 9" x 12" ATC MIXUP SWATTON #1 and #2 STENCILS and MASKS


How did these ...





...ATC masks acquire their paint stains?

After carefully separating these masks from the rest of ATC Mixup Swatton #1 -- it helps to use fine-detail-cutting scissors, or a plastic cutting mat with knife -- I placed them on a sheet of wet media film (polyester film that's pre-treated to accept wet media; it comes in matte or glossy.)

Next, I randomly scattered small squirts of Golden High Flow acrylics around the masks, and atop them.  

I weighed each of the masks down onto the wet media film, using jumbo-sized "glass pebbles" (normally used as decoration on fish tank floors.)  It was important to keep the edges of each mask firmly in place; otherwise, its outlines would come out blurry or too faint in the finished piece.

Below is one of several sheets that I made in this way; I've red-circled an imprint left behind after I used one of the "glass pebbles" to weigh down the center of the wet media film.  On this particular sheet, I used cool-range Golden High Flow colors (blue, green, etc.)





On another sheet, I used warm-range Golden High Flow acrylics.  After the paint had dried, I cut this sheet into pieces of irregular shapes --
















I may make refrigerator magnets with these irregular shapes, the same as I plan to do with the masks themselves (shown in an earlier post.)

Another idea is to punch one hole in the top of each piece, string it with wire or metallic thread, and attach it to a suction cup -- creating a window sun-catcher like no other!

But with one piece, I'm making a greeting card cover, using this paper --




-- as my background.  This sheet of gorgeous paper was decorated by bookmaker-artist Carlotta Holman, and she generously included it in a swap among members of StencilGirl StencilClub.

The card cover:





Tomorrow's post will continue showing ways to use my just-released 9" x 12" stencil-and-mask sets ATC Mixup Swatton #1 and ATC Mixup Swatton #2 .

Thanks so much for coming to see my blog today!  To follow it by email, please use that option in the upper right sidebar.  To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.





Newly Released: a brand-new collection of 18 images -- mostly stencils, with several bonus masks included -- all sized for creating Artist Trading Cards!  


ATC Mixup Swatton #1 (9" x 12")


ATC Mixup Swatton #2 (9" x 12")