Monday, December 10, 2018

Gelli Plate + Stencils = Christmas Cards


I've used my round Gelli Plate for the first time in a long time!
The first thing I noticed – to my delight – was that the round shape of the printing plate greatly changes the “look” usually achieved from using a stencil.  This happy fact stood out for me when I used my 9”X 12” stencil Facets because I’m so conditioned to seeing it in its original 9”X 12” shape.
Here are 5 prints that show the dramatic change into a circular format:













The first print shown above  --




-- was to become the first of two Christmas cards, because this image reminds me of a stained-glass church window.

In making this print, I started with black-and-white patterned scrapbook paper, then layered red, orange and green acrylic paints over it with a brayer. 

Once that dried, I used my round Gelli Plate, a gesso-teal mix of acrylic paint, and my 9” X 12” stencil Facets to pull the print.


To make the first card, I covered a blank 5”X 7” greeting card with a background -- green mulberry paper embedded with gold threads of tinsel.
My next step was to add the half-circle I’d cut from my Gelli Plate print.  It was really easy to cut out the printed area, because this stencil’s geometric design is divided equally by its axis. 


On a scrap of the same green mulberry paper, I used a gold-paint pen to write “Christmas Blessings” – I did it on a scrap, not the card itself, because I wanted to make sure it would turn out the way I wanted.  Then I cut out the lettering and glued it to the card cover.  That card is below:




I used part of the leftover print to decorate a matching envelope -- it became a trim that runs along the bottom edge, right under the area where the name and address will be:



Another print I pulled, using the same teal-gesso mix, was on dark blue cardstock that has embedded glitter-like sparkles.  Here, again, is that print:





To make another Christmas card, I chose a 6"X6" card blank made from "pearlized" cardstock.  Because of the change in card size, I cut out a bigger part of the print than I had for the earlier card.  I glued the cut-out to my card and trimmed the edges.
I used a rubber stamp and green inkpad to make the greeting on white cardstock.  After cutting it out with Fiskars Paper Edger scissors, I ran the gold pen along its four edges and added it to the Christmas card.  Here's the card, finished -- except for a red border that I plan to add later:




Here's the matching envelope, again with its decoration along the bottom that leaves room above for the name and address:




The church-window-like Christmas card below was also made with my Facets Stencil but this time I didn't use the Gelli Plate ...  





For me, it was a natural segue from Christmas cards and envelopes to Christmas giftwrap.  Some of the prints shown at the top of this post were done on foreign newsprint  -- this gives me an interesting background and results in a pliable paper perfect for giftwrap and matching gift-tags.
Here again are those papers:










And here they are, used together, as giftwrap --




And finally, with a gift-tag:




In its entirety, Facets stencil looks like this --





To scroll thru the pages of all my StencilGirl stencils, please start here.

Thanks for visiting my blog today!  To follow it by email, please use that option in the upper right sidebar.