Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Mary Ann Russo's Art and Other Metallics Created with Stencils


On the day that I got an idea to do "a post" on the topic of using stencils with various types of metallic materials, I had lost track of how many artworks there are to show.  Most are ones I made, that have accumulated over the last six years.  

But what kicked off the idea -- an idea that will, I see now, stretch out into a series of posts, rather than just one post -- was a stunning piece of metallic art created by my friend Mary Ann Russo.

Mary Ann started with multi-media paper.  She first used my 9" x 12" stencil Steampunk to apply soft gel medium as a resist.  Once that had dried, she painted the surface with FW metallic inks.  Then she rubbed off some of the inks.  Her last step was to come back in with black acrylic paint, rubbing it on and off in areas.  (Some artists call this technique "antiquing.") 

Bearing in mind that any photo of metallic/reflective artwork just can't do it justice, I'll post a photo of Mary Ann's finished art --




   
Clicking on the above photo to enlarge it, you can better see its details.

Another metallic artwork I'll show today is this one --





This artwork was done by me, using my 9" x 12" stencil Fantasia.

Again, a photo fails to do justice to the reflective sparkle in this artwork.  I used a quick and easy technique that I recommend to everyone wanting to try something new in an art journal.  Just let the first step be a layer of reflective metallic paint.  Then bring on the stencil or stencils! -- using them with either matte or glossy acrylic paints (or both); also using them with opaque and/or translucent acrylic paints.

Below is an example of something metallic that's somewhat similar; this piece was created with part of my 9" x 12" stencil Blooming Where Planted --



   

This time, rather than add metallic paint to paper, I started with textured reflective foil gift-wrap paper.  I chose matte acrylic paint to use thru the stencil, because of its contrast with the background.

More metallic-look artworks -- made with stencils -- will be posted here ... in fact, they will be the next 7 posts.

Thanks for visiting my blog today.

To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils, please start here.

To follow this blog by email, please use the option-box in the upper right corner.