Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Aluminum Foil Tape with Stencils -- and More about Embossing


Home improvement stores carry rolls of aluminum tape like this kind which measures  just shy of 2 inches in width.  When it comes off the roll, it has a paper backing that peels off, revealing this tape's self-adhesive side.  I'm sure it does a good job with ducts and in its other applications -- but for me, it's kept with my collection of art-making supplies!  Below are two examples of ways I've used it.   

Today's first art sample is a Christmas card that was quick and easy to make.  I simply rolled out the tape and -- while its white paper backing was still covering the self-adhesive side -- used one of my Borders series of stencils -- Swatton Borders # 2 -- with red paint, adding a pattern.  After that paint dried, I trimmed one end of the tape to be slanted, suggesting a candle being burned.  Then I removed the white backing, exposing the adhesive side of the tape and used that to attach it to the card cover.  (The flame was cut from marbled paper.)




Today's second art sample results from a technique with more steps:


For this project, besides the aluminum tape, I used stencils, alcohol inks, Sharpie pens, an embossing stylus, padding (a craft foam sheet and an old mouse pad), masking tape, and a non-stick paper (non-stick aluminum foil or freezer paper, shiny side up) to spread over the work surface for its protection.




Above, at the top of the photo, is a view of the tape as it comes, in a roll.  Here, I have cut off 2 lengths of it and secured them with masking tape to (left) a sheet of yellow craft foam and (right) an old mouse pad. 

Below are two close-ups of the next step I took -- placing stencils over the tape.  The first photo shows my 9"X 12" 
Wrought Iron Gate stencil and, below that, the smaller photo shows my 9"X 12" Swatton Borders 1 stencil.








I traced inside the stencils' open areas with an embossing stylus, the top of which is shown below -- but a ballpoint pen would work, too.




My next step was to lift off the stencil to reveal the embossed tape -- 




Below are two photos showing the embossed tapes with alcohol inks added--






I liked the colors of these inks, but wasn't happy with the way the embossed line-work disappeared under them.  So I began experimenting.  One experiment was to remove most of the ink with rubbing alcohol.  I also got out my Sharpie pens, knowing that these deeply embossed lines would be easy to trace.  But to be on the safe side, I replaced the stencils, lining them up with the embossed line-work --




After lifting off the stencil a second time, I had the results below.




Above:  The lower strip of tape has been embossed, alcohol-inked, and wiped with rubbing alcohol.  Some of the alcohol ink remains, highlighting the embossed line-work.
Below is a 6"X6" greeting card I made using this tape --




Stencils used for today's two projects:


Swatton Borders #1 stencil (9" x 12")
Swatton Borders #2 stencil (9" x 12")


Wrought Iron Gate stencil (9" x 12")


Many thanks for visiting my blog today!  To follow it by email, please use the option box on the upper right.

More metallic-themed posts will be posted here, later.  These posts will temporarily wait in the wings, preempted by tomorrow's special announcement, as well as a series of daily posts that will follow it. 

To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils, please start here.