Wednesday, May 16, 2018

What to Do When a Stencil Project Goes Awry?


On a brand-new greeting card blank (JAMPaper.com), I stenciled a print using only the stencil part of my Hot Air Balloon and Mask (a set of one stencil and one mask that come together on a 6" x 6" sheet of Mylar -- as shown below:


Above:  For today's project, I used the stencil on the far left. In the center is the place where the mask sits when the stencil first arrives in your mailbox.  The figure on the right shows the mask after it's been removed from the Mylar sheet.

My print (white on blue cardstock) came out okay, but by accident I'd ruined an area beside the print, smearing it with paint.  

Normally, I cover this kind of mistake with another paint layer, or I use paper to create a collage that conceals the flub.  

This time, however, neither option appealed to me.  Nor did it work when I tried to remove the paint-smear with rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab.  (That did remove the paint, but at the same time, it left a permanent mar on the card's metallic-look surface.)

What to do?

Cut out the print and use it on a new background!

What background?

Well, I already had a 9" x 12" print made with my Facets stencil --



Above:  9" x 12" stencil Facets.

I'd made that print on multi-faceted "holographic" foil (originally sold as gift-wrap.)  It looked like this:



Above:  The "holographic" foil is very difficult to photograph because it's highly reflective -- lots of bling!

I pulled out a new greeting card blank and used a gluestick to add this print to the cover of the card.  After pressing that combination to flatten it, I cut off the excess foil, making it the same size as the greeting card.

Then I added the cut-out print I'd made with Hot Air Balloon and Mask .  I used 3-dimensional "glue dots" to give the card cover some depth.  In the photo below, this depth appears only slightly, in shadow at some edges of the cut-out print ....
  




I'm glad to have Hot Air Balloon and Mask because it comes in handy when I want to make a greeting card for a man.  To my eye, this image has a masculine look ... maybe because I've seen only men running these hot air balloons.  I'm sure that many women do it too, but it just happens that I haven't seen that ... yet!

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog today!

To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils, please start here.