Monday, July 10, 2017

More Black, White and Grey Prints with Stencils


Since my online black-and-white class with Jane Davies will be starting soon, I've been making more black-and-white prints.  I'm thinking that these will be torn and/or cut to go into collages for some of her class assignments.  But if it turns out my guess is wrong, I'll brayer or brush over the prints with translucent acrylic paints, to add color to the white areas and interesting tints to the black and grey areas.  Then they'll end up in my own independent collages of merged colors.

To make today's prints, I used the sponge brayer method that's so quick and easy for me.




I had no black papers on hand, so I created some with black gesso.  After those papers dried, I switched from black gesso (pictured above) to Titanium White heavy-body acrylic paint.  

The first image below appears to have a brown tint but is actually dark grey.  The uppermost print was made with my 9" x 12" stencil Blooming Where Planted (which I've cut into three separate sections.)  Beneath this print is an earlier one made with another 9" x 12" stencil, Prayer Flags.  Clicking on the photo to enlarge it, you can better see subtle results from the earlier print.



Above:  another print made with Blooming Where Planted.

Above:  a print made with Fantasia (9" x 12" stencil).  An earlier print made with another stencil lies beneath this top layer.

Above: an experiment -- printing on a sheet of foreign newsprint with my 9" x 12" stencil Vases

Above:  This subtle imprint was made with another StencilGirl stencil, 6' x 6" Puddles, by Rae Missigman. 

Thanks for visiting my blog today!  If interested in following it by email, just sign up in the upper right sidebar.

To see all my stencils, please visit here.