Thursday, July 13, 2017

IT'S A JUNGLE OUT THERE and A Lot of Help from Artist PAT DEWS


I used my 9" x 12" stencil It's A Jungle Out There to make art for today's post:




You can buy a stretched canvas that's already black, but in this case, I started with a white one and covered it with two coats of black gesso, allowing dry-time between layers.  I applied the gesso with an extra-large spreading tool bought at a hardware/paint store.  I think the tool was made for construction workers creating smooth surfaces in plaster; it has a 12"-wide aluminum blade and a plastic handle.  I chose that tool because I wanted to create a perfectly flat surface, without brush marks or other imperfections.

My stencil had already been cut into pieces; the original stencil looks like this:




I used these stencil-bits following directions given in Pat Dews' DVD Designing Great Starts with Texture and Form.

My media included Titanium White High Flow acrylic, blue and aqua acrylic paint, and violet interference acrylic paint.

To see all my stencils, please visit here.

Thank you for your visit to my blog today!