Thursday, February 26, 2015

Rubbing Plates used as Printing Plates


In yesterday's post, below, I described start-to-finish the process used by my friend Mary Ann Russo to create rubbing plates using stencils.  Mary Ann makes rubbing plates to use with Shiva sticks and hand-dyed fabrics.  I on the other hand use them to make rubbings on paper (see yesterday's post) or to make prints on "catch-all" papers.  (These are the foreign newspapers that I spread under artwork-in-progress to catch leftover acrylic paints; I clean my brushes on these papers before putting the brushes into water to be washed.  After a "catch-all" sheet has been used enough to have become a colorful background, it's then used for Gelli Arts prints or prints of other kinds.)

In today's post, I'll show 10 papers, all but one printed with acrylic paints and Mary Ann's rubbing plate created with my 9"X12" stencil Vases.  The first (purple) print below was made this way, on paper previously painted with the use of my 9"X12" stencil Twinship, which is visible as blue patterns of the background.  The second print (far left) was made with crayon -- after placing paper over the rubbing plate, I rubbed crayon across the top of the paper, picking up outlines of the raised shapes below the paper.

Crayon









 
For detailed information on creating these rubbing plates, just scroll down to yesterday's post, below this one.  Nine of the prints above were made by brushing acrylic paints over the rubbing plate, then pressing papers down onto the plate.  The rubbing plate was washed before paint could dry on its surface.