Tuesday, July 21, 2020

More Art Created with New 6" x 6" Mask LOOKING UP THROUGH TREES SMALL -- ms793


I've had the pleasure of seeing lots of gorgeous layered art prints created with the Gelli Plate -- all of them by other artists!  I'm just not as good at using the plate as others are.    


I feel that, for me, there's an advantage in the brayer-application approach.  When I'm working on a large piece of watercolor paper, for instance, the brayer method lets me target specific areas with each application.  It gives me enough control to gradually build a composition that I like.  One thing I've learned, in these happy years of working with my StencilGirl stencils and masks, is that there's one person I want to please with my final artworks.  Moi

All of my art samples for today were created with this sponge style of brayer, which, incidentally, can be found here as well as elsewhere. 




Above:  An example of a sponge brayer being loaded with heavy-body acrylic paint.



Above:  An example of the way I use the loaded brayer to direct paint thru the stencil or mask openings.  Here, I've used masking tape to hold the mask in place, but usually I don't bother with that.

The print directly below, done with acrylic paints on watercolor paper, is just the first step in what will become a multi-layered piece. 




Above:  A first-layer print, created with acrylic heavy-body paints and with my 6" x 6" mask Looking Up Through Trees Small


Below is a series of prints, numbered in progression, all made with my 6" x 6" mask Looking Up Through Trees Small.  Since acrylic paints dry rapidly, these layers were quick to build up:




Above:  First layer of prints using my 6" x 6" mask Looking Up Through Trees Small.
  



Above:  Second layer with my 6" x 6" mask Looking Up Through Trees Small 


The photo below shows the third layer; in this layer, I started to include the use of my 9" x 12" Looking Up Through Trees:






Studying the above 3-part progression in hindsight, I came to the unhappy conclusion that the second layer is where I could have stopped!  

But because I didn't stop back at that second layer, I now faced a challenge -- I needed to continue adding layers, hoping to see a final version that would satisfy me....

Many layers later, having repeatedly used both my 9" x 12" Looking Up Through Trees and my brand-new 6" x 6" mask Looking Up Through Trees Small, I came to another stopping point:








And at this point, I'm calling it done!


Below:  Another first-layer print:  Since it's in black and white, will more layers -- in color -- be added?




Above:  Made with my 9" x 12" Looking Up Through Trees 

Thanks for stopping to see my blog today!  To scroll thru the pages of my 
StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.  To follow this blog via email, please use that option in the upper right sidebar.