Monday, November 4, 2019

Scraps!


Making loose-sheet prints with stencils is so much fun, it's easy for me to get carried away, to the point that printed papers threaten to stack to the ceiling!

Today my decision is to cut some stencil-printed papers, to turn them into scraps -- 





Above are some of my scraps; they're piled atop several pieces of sturdy cardstock, ready to start a journey toward new life!

Below, I've started to randomly glue scraps to a backing of sturdy cardstock.  I use a Pioneer brand embellishment gluestick.  After gluing each piece to the background, I roll over it with a rubber brayer to make sure it's completely flattened ....





The following 4 photos show cardstock-backed collages, all ready to ignite ideas for new projects.  














Below:  a close-up detail of one of these collages of scraps:





For my first project, I decide to audition stencils and masks of a specific type -- I want silhouette-like imagery with large open areas and few small details.





Auditioned stencils and masks above:  L to R, top row:  Small Thistles (6" x 6"), Pair o' Parrots (6" x 6") and Hot Air Balloon Stencils and Masks (which come in two sizes.)  Middle right:  Osprey Wings (6" x 6") and Heron (6" x 6").  Bottom L to R:  Thistle (9" x 12") and Cats (6" x 6").

Below, I'm using a watercolor pencil to trace an outline inside the open shape of a mask from one of the two sets Hot Air Balloon Stencils and MasksFor this first outlining, I'm using the larger of the two hot air balloon sets.





Next, I use the same watercolor pencil to trace around a mask from the same set -- but this time, I'm using the smaller of the two sizes that are available in the hot air balloon sets.



Note:  This mask has been stained with orange acrylic paint from a previous project.

Now that this shape has been traced out in two sizes, I'm ready to cut out both images with fine-detail scissors.  You can click on the photo below to enlarge it and better see detail --





Below you can see the two hot air balloon shapes, now cut out.  If a watercolor pencil leaves marks after the shape is cut out, they can be easily erased later with a water-dampened cotton swab.










Above:  A close-up shot of these two shapes glued to a giftbag (the bag has been sprayed with a metallic gold watercolor in a mister spray bottle.)  Below:  the giftbag itself.





 Now, I decide to trace another hot air balloon on the scrap-collaged paper, cut it out, and take advantage of its sturdy cardstock backing by making a three-dimensional greeting card.
  




The photo above shows my cut-out being auditioned on the front side of a greeting card blank cut from metallic bronze cardstock (from JAMPaper.com). On the upper right is a box of Glue Dots.  Upper left:  the roll of glue dots that I've taken out of the box.

Below, you can see the back of the cut-out and the glue dots I'm placing on it.  Its base of sturdy cardstock is really important in working toward a 3D finish.





Front view of the finished greeting card cover --






-- and here's a view from the side:








Above:  When cutting out the heron that I'd traced onto the scrap-collage, I used an X-acto knife and cutting board instead of fine-detail scissors, because of the small-scale details of the legs and feet.

After the heron got a ribbon around its neck -- again the cardstock backing was very helpful -- it went onto another giftbag that I'd previously sprayed with a metallic gold watercolor.





A close-up--




More giftbags and close-ups:




















In the final photo above, you can see that I cut out a paper heart and added it to the cat ... couldn't help myself!

Plain paper giftbags are available here and in some brick-and-mortar art and craft supply stores.
Thanks for visiting here today!  To follow my blog by email, please use that option in the upper right sidebar.  To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.


Since Christmas is coming, today's project-idea can be used with Christmas trees, bells, stars, etc., for giftbags and greeting cards.  One helpful stencil is here.   Another is here.  And here.  And here.  And here.  And here.