Sunday, August 19, 2018

Using 9" x 12" stencils PRAYER FLAGS & THISTLES


I created this piece while taking an online class with Joan Fullerton

Part of Joan's painting process involves using stencils.  So in developing the background for today's piece, I used Prayer Flags stencil, shown here:





When it came time to build up a focal area in the painting, I chose another 9" x 12" stencil, Thistle --





-- but, rather than use the stencil as-is, with spaces between flowers and stalks, I decided I wanted an overlapping image.

So I used this stencil three times, lifting after each imprint.  After giving each imprint time to dry, I placed the stencil back onto the same area, bringing the images together ... the way they would appear if this were a bouquet being held in someone's hand.

The result:





For a completely different look, I cut the Prayer Flags stencil into pieces and used them to make a print --





-- and my next step was to cut the print down to fit on a greeting card cover.  The cut-down paper then became background for a photo I'd taken years ago --




To scroll thru my full line of StencilGirl stencils, please start here.

Thanks for visiting here today!  To follow this blog by email, please use that option, available in the upper right.