Monday, November 20, 2017

WROUGHT IRON GATE, a 9" x 12" Stencil with Outside-the-Box Applications


My 9" x 12" stencil Wrought Iron Gate has turned out to be good for more than a background pattern.

After making the print below --





-- I cut out a vertical strip and turned it into a birthday candle for the greeting card shown below.  (If I'd used different colors, it could have become a Christmas candle on a different greeting card.)





In making that candle, I noticed something that had escaped my attention before:  hearts!

It had been easy to freehand cut out a candle, because of the vertical lines that are part of the design.

But within those vertical lines were hearts -- one upside- down, atop another right-side-up, in vertical columns.

So I cut out several hearts and used them in collages on new greeting cards, shown below.





Above:  This heart from Wrought Iron Gate is collaged onto a background print made with my 6" x 6" stencil Sassy Spray.


What to do with leftover scraps? One answer was to trim the top and bottom edges of a journal cover that I had already imprinted with my 6" x 6" stencil Ornamental Iron Curls...


Above:  the journal cover before scraps were added.


Above:  the journal cover after the scraps were glued into place.

To give you an idea of scale, this journal is small enough to be carried in a purse.  Or into a Christmas stocking!

I'm happy to say that I've designed 70 stencils for StencilGirl.  The multiple pages of my stencils start here.

Thanks for visiting my blog today!