Friday, August 16, 2019

Leftover Acrylic Paints?


Two acrylic paintings of mine ...



Above:  a three-dimensional work on canvas, developed with my 6" x 6" stencil Mimosa 6.



Above:  a painting developed with the help of my 9" x 12" stencil Blooming Where Planted.  You can click on the above image to enlarge it.  The stenciled areas are subtle.



Sometimes I finish a project -- like those two above -- to find leftover acrylic paint on my hands.  Well, not literally on my hands!  I use a white disposable plate as a palette and that's where the leftovers lay.  

The first day the paint has come out of the tube or bottle or jar, I spray the leftover paint lightly with water, then seal it, plate and all, in a zip-top bag.  (I use the zip-top bags that come in packages marked "freezer" because these are more nearly air-tight.  Later, after all leftover paint is gone, I re-use these bags in cleaning up after my cat ... you know what I mean!)

If a couple of days pass without any further need for that leftover paint, I consider it near the end of its lifespan -- so I put it to work making extra stencil prints that will end up in collages or art journal pages.
  




Above and below:  both made with 9" x 12" Blooming Where Planted stencil.  The print below has a three-dimensional look, which happened entirely by accident!




Below:  printed with 6" x 6" stencil-and-mask set, Dance of the Courting Cranes.


Note:  This silhouette stencil works well with old calendar pages -- see the "rising sun" in the central-left of this image?






 Above and below:  two prints made with Feathers 6 stencil, which measures 6" x 6" (but has a "big sister" measuring 9" x 12" -- Feathers 9 stencil.)




Below: Layers being developed with 6" x 6" Pavilion Shadows stencil and 6" x 6" Mikki's Flowers Mask (which also comes as Mikki's Flowers Stencil and prints an image that's the exact opposite of the mask.) 

  



A batch of leftover blended yellows went into making the print below...





... and the stencils that worked together to make this overall geometric pattern were 6" x 6" Pavilion Shadows and 6" x 6" Ski Lift Works.  


Thank you for taking time to stop here at my blog today!  To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.  To subscribe to my blog by email, please use that option in the upper right sidebar.