Saturday, December 29, 2012

Pat Dews -- a beautiful soul


I was unable to attend either of the 2012 Pat Dews' wokshops for which I had registered, but that disappointment was followed by Pat's kindly personal invitation to meet her at a recent award ceremony of the New Jersey Watercolor Society, which now -- fortunately for me -- meets in my figurative backyard, at Middletown Arts Center. (If you live in NJ and take NJ Transit from any of the Shore Points to NYC, you ride past this art center every time you pass the Middletown Train Station. These two buildings are rock-throwing distance apart. Not that I'm suggesting you throw any ...!)

My art-world experience was launched in college, in the prehistoric days before popularized computer use, when my major was labeled "commercial art." ("Graphic design," I think, is the modern label.) My focus during that era was representational art. By 1995, however, I had been bitten by a different bug and came down with a full-blown mania for nonobjective abstract art using mixed media. The fever has never gone down.

Thanks to creative minds like Pat Dews', it never will.

http://www.patdews.com