Friday, June 26, 2009

monoprinting underwater backgrounds





This photo sequence shows how I made the monoprints that I used in creating the underwater-scene greeting cards. I also used a monoprint of this kind in creating a large piece of art for Crafters Cafe, which can be seen at http://crafterscafe.com/store/index.php?main_page=page&id=29&chapter=50
My first step was to smear paint blobs onto a matrix, which in this case was a sheet of glass. Second, I placed my substrate (the glossy cardstock to be printed) face-down onto the matrix and gave it a slight twist. Then I pulled it up; the third photo shows the matrix and substrate side-by-side. The last photo shows a close-up of one of my prints.
This technique is lots of fun; every pull yields a surprise. And it's a perfect activity to share with young children out of school for the summer!
Cecilia