Friday, April 12, 2019

A Unique Greeting Card -- with Step-by-step Directions


Today's post brings out a greeting card made with scraps of stencil-printed papers -- 



 


Here's the technique used in printing the collage papers --

First, I created a glossy finish on my paper, by painting it with a generous coat of Golden Fluid Acrylic paint.  (Golden also makes a matte fluid acrylic paint, but that's not what I used, since I wanted a glossy surface on this substrate.)





After that glossy base-coat dried, I secured my 9" X 12" Trivet A9 stencil  to the substrate with masking tape:





I used opaque Cobalt Teal acrylic paint and a cosmetic sponge to stamp color thru the stencil's openings.

Having applied the teal paint, I lifted off the stencil.  Once the teal had dried, I brushed on a coat of transparent red acrylic paint.  





My next step -- while the red paint was still damp -- was to spritz water across the red paint. Then I blotted and gently rubbed the surface with dry paper towels.  This lifted the red paint in areas that left a mottled, spattered look.  Here is the final result:



Above:  I've left the bottom un-"spattered" to better show the before-and-after of this last step.

The stencil I've used is my 9" X 12" Trivet A9 , shown below --



Now, I want to show a different approach that I used to create a similar spattered look with a resist.  

But this time, the resist wasn't aqua acrylic paint.  Instead, I used VersaMark Watermark Stamp Pad (available online at JoAnn Fabric and Crafts as well as other vendors.) 

For a substrate, I chose glossy, sturdy cardstock.  A glossy surface is needed to get the best results with this technique. 

I opened the stamp pad, placed it wet-side-down onto the stencil, and pounced across the stencil's openings many times, to get an even coating of resist across the two openings that form bird shapes in my 6"X 6" stencil Osprey Wings.  See below:


Above:  The stencil is tinted blue to show up better in the photo.

After lifting off the stencil to give the resist some drying time, I went over the surface with red acrylic paint.  Then, with a paper towel, I blotted away some of the red paint -- while this paint was still damp.  Here is the print that resulted:




With the osprey, I like to think this spatter-like look creates an ethereal atmosphere that suits the subject.

Many thanks for visiting my blog today!  To scroll thru the pages of all my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.