Wednesday, October 9, 2019

One of Many Resist Technique Approaches -- with Stencils


What is a "resist"?  The word describes an area, or areas, on a substrate (paper, canvas, etc.) that will resist coverage by acrylic paint, ink, watercolor or any other liquid medium.  

The degree of resistance varies -- with a twofold outcome.

First:  Resist-treated areas stand out from their background.

Second:  Because the degree of resistance varies, results are usually faintly tinted, with a mottled appearance; this makes for attractive details that coax a viewer's gaze to linger.

Many resist media exist -- white gesso and wax crayons, to name only two.  

But for today's post, I decided to try it with two liquid-resistant pencils.  

The first photo below shows a white Caran d'ache pencil, which I used to fill in leaf-shaped openings on my 9" x 12" stencil Ivy Frame.  My substrate was a sturdy sheet of white paper.  (You can click on each of today's images for enlargement, to better see details.)




Below:  With the same stencil, on a new sheet of sturdy paper, I used a white grease pencil.  These are also called China markers and the brand I happened to buy was Phano.  If you click on the photo below, to enlarge it, you can easily see that the pigment stick broke.  I was bearing down too hard!




After filling in a number of the ivy leaves, I poured some black gesso into a disposable foam plate and got out an old credit card.  I dipped the card into the pool of gesso, then scraped the card across my substrate, as shown below.





Close-ups are below --


Above:  grease pencil as a resist.


Above:  grease pencil as a resist.


Above:  grease pencil as a resist.



Above:  Caran d'ache as a resist.


Above:  Caran d'ache as a resist

Ivy Frame comes in two sizes, the size used today (9" x 12") --






-- and the 6" x 6" Ivy Frame 6 Stencil, which looks like this --






To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.

Thanks for stopping by this blog today!  If you'd like to follow it by email, just sign up in the upper right sidebar.