Saturday, December 29, 2018

TANGLED PODS


For this project, I started with my 9"X 12" stencil Tangled Pods --


-- along with matte gel mediuma spreading tool, masking tape, a soft terrycloth rag and a sturdy substrate -- in this case, I chose a large sheet of glossy cardstock that had already been monoprinted with blue and green acrylic paints, then had been used as a "catch-all paper" when I'd painted another paper orange.





After taping the substrate to my work surface, I covered it with my Tangled Pods stencil and taped that down, too. 




For my next step, I spread a generous layer of matte gel medium across the top of the stencil, as shown in the two photos below.  (I could have used gloss gel medium; in this process, either will work.)







After spreading the gel medium, I lifted off the stencil.  See below--




At this point, I set aside the artwork to dry.  Since I'd used matte medium, I knew that when the gel became nearly transparent, it would be dry.

Once the surface had dried, I began to coat it with acrylic paints, first brushing them on, then using the soft rag to wipe away paint from selected areas.





The photos above show the starting stages.  I went on to add layer after layer of paint, repeating the process, over and over.

The final results are shown below.  One of its layers was a metallic paint, which I used over about 2/3 of the surface:




This stencil, Tangled Pods, is among my others at StencilGirlProducts.  You can scroll thru those pages starting here

To follow this blog please use the email option in the upper right.

Thanks for visiting my blog today!