Wednesday, January 18, 2017

What NOT To Do!


I'm delighted to be the guest posting today on StencilGirlTalk.com.  

In my guest post, I wanted to limit myself to the technique of my focus, so I omitted going into detail about the types of foil available out there -- which type to use for today's foiling technique, and what not to use.

The right kind of foil to use with today's technique is transfer foil -- a foil that's laminated to a sheet of clear plastic.  After the transfer is made with a bone folder or other tool, the clear plastic is what remains.

Heat-transfer foil is not the right kind; this technique calls for a "cold" transfer foil.

Another "wrong" foil is the kind that's transferred with the use of foiling glue (also called "size.")  Therm O Web Deco Foil, Speedball Metal Leaf and Martha Stewart's Craft Foil Sheets are examples of this kind, which is ultra-thin and fragile.

It was this "wrong" kind of foil that I used in one of my experiments when first experimenting with this technique...



Pictured above:  The wrong kind of foil -- which comes in ultra-thin sheets.  This type of foil leaf comes in tablets, with pages of resist paper separating each piece of foil from the next piece.
    
In the photo above, you can see one of the steps detailed in today's post at StencilGirlTalk.com.  But in that post, you see the right kind of foil being used; this type is now sold by Ranger.  (Altho pictured in my StencilGirlTalk demo, Renaissance brand is no longer available.  I used it because it was what I had on hand.)


In the midst of my experiment-gone-wrong, I quickly discovered that the ultra-thin foil leaf was a mistake.  But since I had, by that point, already pressed it down onto the sticky-side-up tape, I tried my best to go forward.  These were the sad, messy results:





Clicking on the above photo to enlarge it, you can see stray flakes of foil scattered everywhere, as well as a sloppy transfer job on the wide sticky-side-up tape.  The Kaleid stencil's pattern is barely recognizable, since the foil leaf has taken over.  

So for a successful transfer onto wide masking tape (or the clear type of carton-sealing tape) use Ranger.  You'll be glad you did!   

No comments:

Post a Comment