Sunday, December 20, 2015

Church Window Christmas Card made with Alcohol Inks

 
I stumbled upon a treasure when I discovered "metallic" greeting card blanks at JamPaper.com  ... I always feel that when I start with a blank that's already coated with a pretty surface, I've been given a head  start. This is especially true of the "pearlized" card blank that I used here, because its soft glow shows thru the alcohol inks in a way that this photo can't capture:




An added bonus is that these "metallic" cards are cut from sturdy cardstock that tolerates some serious art-making.  (No, I don't own stock in Jam Paper!)

I use the card blanks that are just slightly smaller than 6"x6" so that they perfectly fit my 6"x6" stencils.  But in this case, I used one of my 9"x12" stencils, Facets, because I wanted to create the illusion of a church window for a Christmas card cover.

First, I (masking) taped a stencil over the front of the card; then I traced the lines of the design with a black Sharpie pen.  

Next, I dropped the alcohol inks over the stencil and let them run and mix at will, with a little drop-by-drop encouragement of rubbing alcohol.  (For some reason, the blending solution that comes with the alcohol inks didn't work.) 

Next time, I'll use the dauber tools that are meant to be used with alcohol inks, but this time around, I wanted to experiment with just dropping on the inks and letting them dry.

I made the mistake of letting them dry TOO much.  So the stencil stuck to the card surface and, when lifted, it made a tear in the upper right area, above.   (This was repaired, after the above scan, using a layer of liquid gloss medium.)


No comments:

Post a Comment