Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Keepsake Boxes Adorned with Stencil-Prints Made 3D


In this post, I'm showing a way to use papers printed with my brand-new 9"X12" stencil Nosegay -- one of my two just-released stencils at STENCILGIRL(TM)Products.
 
Whether printed on the Gelli Arts plate or with sponge-topped daubers or with spray paints, the completed prints work great for origami and other kinds of paper-folding.
I'm no expert at origami -- but I can manage to fold a paper fan!
Ages ago, I bought a few square wooden boxes with hinged lids at a craft store.  I recently learned that these are still available at Jo Ann Fabrics and Crafts --

The main difference between those I bought long ago and the ones at Jo Ann is that mine came already painted.  Additionally, each of my pre-painted boxes came with a square of cardboard cut to fit into the recessed area on the lid.  (The company that created my boxes was Sudberry House in Old Lyme, Connecticut.  They were intended to be used for mounting and displaying needlework.) 

However, nearly any lidded box will do for this project.  The recessed lid is a nice touch, but not totally necessary.  Household spray paint from the hardware store will quickly paint an unpainted wooden box; and it's easy to measure the lid and cut a same-sized square of cardboard.
 
ABOVE:  THE BOX AS IT CAME, WITH CRANBERRY-COLOR CARDBOARD TO USE AS THE LID INSERT.
 
ABOVE:  I PAINTED IT GREEN TO GO WITH MY PRINT.
 
ABOVE:  HAVING CUT A STRIP OF PRINTED PAPER TO MATCH THE CARDBOARD SIZE, I BEGAN TO FAN-FOLD THE PAPER.
 
ABOVE:  I SECURED THE BOTTOM OF THE FAN WITH A STRIP OF METALLIC TAPE.
 
ABOVE: WITH A COTTON SWAB, I APPLIED HEAVY GEL TO ALL AREAS THAT WOULD TOUCH THE GREEN CARDBOARD BACKGROUND.


ABOVE:  THE FAN IS NOW GLUED TO THE CARDBOARD.

 

ABOVE:  TOP VIEW OF THE KEEPSAKE BOX, WITH THE CARDBOARD PLACED INTO THE DEPRESSION ON THE LID.
 
 
ABOVE:  A DIFFERENT VIEW OF THE FINISHED BOX.
 
These are my two 9"X12" brand-new stencils at STENCILGIRL(TM)Products --
 
NOSEGAY
BUD
Scroll down to see more artwork made with these stencils ...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment