Sunday, July 27, 2014

Resists ... Revisited


I've been exploring several resist techniques with stencils.  The one I'll show today uses my 6"X6" stencil Palm Fronds Silhouette Small & 4"X4" stencil Palm Fronds Silhouette Mini.

The final results are here -- please pardon the wrinkles that show up below as white streaks...  The wrinkles happened after my final step of coating the image with acrylic gloss medium.


My starting step was to cover a sheet of foreign newspaper with a coat of amber translucent acrylic paint.  After that dried, I added a layer of contrasting color to my substrate, using Pan Pastels --


The next step was to set my two stencils into place ...


... and, while holding them down with one hand, I used an old terry washcloth to rub away Pan Pastel color from the exposed areas within the stencils.

Above:  the substrate after the rubbing and the removal of the stencils.

Above:  a close-up of the right side of the substrate.
The last step was to spread the glossy gel medium across the surface of the substrate, as a fixative to keep the Pan Pastel color intact.  This topcoat of glossy gel medium also darkens and enriches all colors it covers. 

To spread the gel over a substrate, I secure the substrate to the work surface with masking tape.  After adding a long ridge of gel along one side of the substrate, I swipe across it with a 12-inch-wide taping knife from a house-paint supply store.  I'm careful to cover the entire surface with just one swipe

More resist techniques are coming soon ...

No comments:

Post a Comment