Saturday, March 15, 2014

The Repeating Pattern Principle -- Double the Length of these Vines!



Above:  I used what I call the "repeating pattern principle" to double the length of these 2 orange vines.  This top photo is a close-up. 

It was easy to do!  I used part of my Boxed Vines stencil along with orange acrylic paint on a wedge-shaped cosmetic sponge.  After making the first print, I lifted off the stencil and let the paint dry.  Then I turned the stencil in the direction opposite my first placement, and lined up the cut-off "bottom" of the previous print with the cut-off "bottom" of the vine on the stencil itself.  After pouncing more paint thru the flipped-over stencil, I had the double-length vines shown above.

Click on the link to YouTube, below, to watch Carolyn Dube showing how to do this lining-up of the stencil with the earlier stencil-print, to perfectly extend the earlier stencil-printed image:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJsL-eMNr-4&feature=youtu.be

Altho Carolyn was working with one of her beautiful brand-new words stencils,  the principle is the same.

As you can see below, my 9"X12" Boxed Vines stencil contains four vines, each with a cut-off point at its "bottom."  This means you can choose any of the four for your first print, and any of them for the second print to be done with the stencil turned in the opposite direction.  The variety you can achieve is endless.  Nor are you limited to using just one color of paint as I did.  Your vine can be one color (or one combination of colors) at one end and totally different in color on the other end.
 
http://www.stencilgirlproducts.com/Boxed-Vines-Stencil-Cecilia-Swatton-p/l247.htm
 
I use masking tape to secure the stencil to my substrate -- this is especially important when it's time to make that second print, since it needs to line up perfectly with the first print.

I use the same tape to mask off areas of the stencil that I want to avoid using in this selective approach to making prints.


The photo above shows the artwork in its entirety.  The aqua print at the upper right was created with the 9"X12" stencil Web by Mary Beth Shaw.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment