Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Striking Gold


In my last post, I showed a mixed-media collage created with the help of several stencils, one being Mary C. Nasser's 9"X12" Map stencil.

And this is what that stencil looks like, having been used with that gold metallic paint, after previous uses with other acrylics--



The gilding gleams in a way that can't be captured here, but believe me, it's so beautiful that I'm thinking of cutting up this stencil to use pieces of it in other mixed-media collages.  Of course that will mean ordering a replacement from STENCILGIRL(TM)Products -- but I had been planning a new order anyway, ever since seeing the new designs by Carolyn Dube and Michelle Ward; take a look, via the link below, and you'll see why --

http://www.stencilgirlproducts.com/stencils-9x12-s/1817.htm

Veering back to the subject of gold ...  I've just repeated an earlier experiment, wherein I used white pearlescent paint on watercolor paper (140-lb. hot-press) and followed that with stencils and alcohol inks.  This time, I've used gold metallic paint, loving this rich shade that Golden makes--

After the paint dried, I added stencils--



These include my 9"X12" Borders #2 stencil, on the far right --
http://www.stencilgirlproducts.com/product-p/l221.htm

-- and a portion of my brand-new 9"X12" Boxed Vines stencil;

and my 6"X6" Mimosa stencil (upper left)

and my 6"X6" Kaleid stencil.



I very lightly pounced thru the stencil openings with a Ranger alcohol ink applicator and just a few drops of Ranger alcohol inks, pictured above.  Below is the sheet of gilded paper after the stencils were lifted off.


I then cut out each of the stenciled areas; pictured below, except for the Mimosa print--

Above:  For this print, I used a portion of my 9"X12" stencil Boxed Vines.

Above:  For this print, I used one of the three borders in my 9"X12" stencil Borders # 2.

Above:  This print was made with my 6"X6" Kaleid stencil.
 
My next step was to add more alcohol ink to the Kaleid print shown above; for that I used a Sponge Dauber by Imagine Crafts because of its round shape:
 
 
All of these cut-outs will make their way onto greeting cards and gift-tags, if not now, then by Christmas.
 
Thanks for visiting!

1 comment:

  1. Love it, Cecilia!!
    Just shared on Facebook!
    Hope you do cut up the map stencil and incorporate it into other mixed-media work...what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete