Thursday, January 23, 2014

How Can You Resist?

To create collage papers, I've just tried 2 similar resist methods with stencils.  On the left is the first,
in its finished form.  Clicking on this
image to enlarge it, you can better see the spatter-like look that creates an ethereal atmosphere.


 
On the left is the first step I took -- using VersaMark Watermark Stamp Pad.  Any kind of resist stamp pad would have worked.  I opened the stamp pad, placed it wet-side-down onto the stencil, and pounced across the stencil's openings many times, to get an even coating of resist across the two images in my 6"X6" stencil Osprey Wings.  Here you see the blue prototype of this design, but when you order from STENCILGIRL(TM)Products, the stencils you receive are translucent white and made from a thicker and more sturdy acetate.

I must mention here that the above substrate was glossy cardstock.  The gloss finish on that cardstock was important for the success of the technique.

To show how I ended up with the spattered look visible in the top photo, I'll now go thru the step-by-step process of my second experiment.  Both experiments used the same approach.  The only difference was my choice of resist.

For my second experiment, since I planned to use newsprint instead of glossy cardstock, I created my own glossy protective finish by painting the paper with a generous coat of acrylic paint:


After that basecoat dried, I secured my 9"X12" Trivet A 9 stencil to the substrate with masking tape:


This time, instead of using VersaMark or any other type of resist stamp pad, I used opaque Cobalt Teal acrylic paint and a cosmetic sponge to stamp color thru the stencil's openings.

Having applied the teal paint, I lifted off the stencil.  Once the teal had dried, I brushed on a coat of transparent red acrylic paint.  This is the same paint that I used for this step when I had been working with the Osprey Wings stencil.


In both these experiments, my next step was to spritz water across the red paint while it was still damp. Then I blotted and gently rubbed the surface with dry paper towels.  This lifted the red paint in areas that left a mottled, spattered look.  Here is the final result of my second experiment:


I've left the bottom un-"spattered" to better show the before-and-after of this last step.

Both stencils are available on my two web pages at STENCILGIRL(TM)Products:

http://www.stencilgirlproducts.com/category-s/1832.htm

Thanks for stopping by!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment