Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Etching Plate Prints -- Simplified

For this simplified version of etching plate prints, you need a sheet of craft foam and an old fashioned artist's stylus/burnishing tool (pictured below, it's dark green and white).  If the craft foam is not self-adhesive, it can later be mounted, with any waterproof adhesive, onto foam-core, or it can be mounted onto self-stick mounting board shown below.   This craft foam, adhesive, mounting board and foam-core commonly are available at most big-box craft stores like Michaels.  Lacking this stylus/burnishing tool, you can use a ballpoint pen.  (Mounting is simply an option.  For this example, I didn't mount the craft foam.)


 
Above you can see that the (stained) vases stencil has been placed atop a sheet of white craft foam. 

This is my 9"X12" Two Vases Stencil --


-- which is available here:

http://www.stencilgirlproducts.com/Two-Vases-Stencil-Cecilia-Swatton-p/l232.htm

 Holding the stencil and craft foam firmly together by pressing them together to the work surface, I used my other hand to draw thru the squiggle lines that form one of the vases, with the stylus/burnishing tool. 
I lifted off the stencil to show the craft foam that had been under it -- now "etched" with the vase design; click on the image below to enlarge it, to better see the "etching" lines:

My next step was to take the top off an inkpad of Distress Ink, and rub the pad onto the "etched" plate.  I then spritzed the newly inked surface of the craft foam with water:
I placed white cardstock over this surface and used my hands to burnish the cardstock all across the design.  Then I pulled the first print:
Wanting a stronger image, I tried another inkpad color, repeating the sequence, and pulled the print on the far right, below:
 

1 comment:

  1. Great process!
    And congratulations on your new stencils, too! They're lovely!

    ReplyDelete