Saturday, December 7, 2013

Christmas Cards --


 

-- but this easy technique works for birthday cards, too.  The 6 greeting cards shown above are a continuation of an older post spotlighting the use of stencils in creating "candles" to collage onto cards, along with freehand-cut flames. 

First, I got out some papers and blank greeting cards...


... starting with the above scrap of leftover metallic paper that I had previously stamped with alcohol inks.

Next, I placed stencils over the papers and masking taped them down:



Then I used a cosmetic applicator sponge with heavy body acrylic paint to start pouncing on the color:

Click on the above image to enlarge it and you can see that I have masked off the right half of this vertical "swish-and-swirl" pattern.  Here I am printing directly onto a greeting card cover.  I moved the stencil progressively to the left, applying paint each time, to end up with 3 candles in a horizontal row across the card face.  The final card is shown at the start of this post.

On the upper right in this second picture, you can see where I used a piece of newspaper to pounce excess paint off the applicator before bringing the applicator to the stencil.  This prevents the paint from running under the stencil, which causes problems if you want crisp details in your final prints.
 Next, I carefully peeled off the stencils, to reveal the prints:


Then I cut apart the "candles" -- easy to do since these stencils provide their own guidelines.


The final products are at the top of this post:  The candles have been either collaged, or printed directly, onto greeting card covers, along with flames.

The stencils I used were my brand-new 9"X12"Wrought Iron Gate --

http://www.stencilgirlproducts.com/product-p/l224.htm

-- and my 9"X12" Borders 1 and Borders 2 stencils --

http://www.stencilgirlproducts.com/product-p/l220.htm

http://www.stencilgirlproducts.com/product-p/l221.htm

Re the Borders 1 stencil:  Notice in two of the above photos that I masked off half of one of its borders, to use only half of that vertical strip of "swish-and-swirl" pattern.  My goal was to create an "airy" look in the 3 finished candles.

1 comment: